Monday, June 2, 2008

Piccolo-Spoleto Festival


In 2006, Peter and I packed up Lauren and Hannah in our sit-n-stand stroller and headed downtown to the Children's Festival, a part of Piccolo-Spoleto. I was 39 weeks pregnant. LSU students on an "adventure" had spent the night with us and left that morning going home. I pushed the stroller at the festival and thought I was a little dehydrated when contractions started that evening. I drank plenty of water but baby Stone was on his way and I delivered around midnight that night.

A year later, I packed up Hannah, Lauren, and Stone in a wagon and headed to the Children's Festival -- with my mother-in-law Nancy and her mother Nana. We had a blast watching the marching band, getting our faces painted, and riding ponies. I locked my keys in the car in the chaos of unloading 3 children. We had fun anyway.

This year, we passed on the Children's Festival because Peter and his dad Bill were painting the exterior of the house and I wasn't up for 3 kids, crowds and heat ALONE. I was bummed because I enjoyed looking at the art and taking the kids. Then Peter told me that he could get us tickets to The Ballet du Grand Theatre de Geneve. I was excited! But could the girls sit still for this?? Will any other children be there? Is this appropriate for a 3 and 6 year old? It's at 8 PM. Will we all make it?

We loved it. We tried to leave before the last performance began and the girls refused. It was wonderful! The kids were fantastic. We drew a lot of smiles and attention -- being the only couple with children at the event. Stone missed out with this one (at home in bed) ... just as he did with the first one in 2006!

No comments: